Associate Professor of Agroecology and Entomology – PhD in Ecology, Biodiversity and Evolution
Agroecology, Entomology, biological control
Agroecology and Environment
Conservation biological control, pest, natural enemies, agroecological practices, crop association, agroecosystem management, insect life history traits
- ECOSTACK: this project will develop ecologically, economically and socially sustainable crop production strategies via stacking of biodiversity service providers and bio-inspired tools for crop protection, within and around agricultural fields, in order enhance sustainability of food production systems across Europe.
- Pradiv: The project aims to contribute to the development of cropping systems that optimize the services provided by agro-ecosystems, seeking a better use of natural resources, and promoting biodiversity, including the presence of natural pest enemies and pollinators.
- Biodiv+: The project investigates the synergistic effects of stacking plant functional diversity at multiple levels (mixture of cultivars, intercropping, surrounding landscape) on performance of crops (yield, grain quality) and on population of different pests and natural enemies.
- Applied entomology (1rst year, engineer curriculum)
- Agricultural sciences (2nd year, engineer curriculum)
- Conservation biological control (Summer School)
- Agroecology and agroecological practices (MSc Agroecology)
- Coordinator of MSc Agroecology (Second year master, 5th year engineer curriculum)
Education and work experience
- 2010-2012 : Post-doctorat, Prof. Dorn Lab of Applied Entomology, Swiss Federal Institute of Technology Zürich (ETH Zürich), Suisse.
- 2009-2010 : Lecturer in Biology and Ecology, Lycée d’Enseignement Général et Technologique Agricole (LEGTA), Auzeville, France
- 2009 : Head of the lab of entomology (R&D department) AB7 Industries, Deyme, France
- 2005-2009 : PhD Agroecology lab, Unité Mixte de Recherche (UMR) 5174, Evolution & Diversité Biologique (EDB), Ecole Nationale de Formation Agronomique (ENFA), Toulouse, France.
- 2005-2007 : Lecturer in Plant and animal Biology, Université Paul Sabatier (UPS), Toulouse, France
- Mansion‐Vaquié, A., Wezel, A., Ferrer A., 2019. Wheat genotypic diversity and intercropping to control cereal aphids. Agriculture Ecosystems & Environment, DOI: 10.1016/j.agee.2019.106604
- Mansion‐Vaquié, A., Ferrer A., Ramon-Portugal F., Wezel, A., Magro A., 2019. Intercropping impacts the host location behaviour and population growth of aphids. Entomologia Experimentalis et Applicata. DOI: 10.1111/eea.12848
- Ferrer, A., Celette, F., Casagrande, M., Peigné, J., Vian, J.-F., Wezel, A., 2017. Teaching Agroecological Practices to Higher Education Students, Farmers and Other Stakeholders. Examples from France., In: Wezel, A. (ed), Agroecological Practices for Sustainable Agriculture: Principles, Applications, and Making the Transition. World Scientific, pp. 419–444.
- Ferrer, A., Dixon, A.F.G., Hemptinne, J.-L., 2015. Habitat or prey specialization in predatory ladybird beetles: a case study of two closely related species. Journal of Applied Entomology. Vol. 140, 199–208.
- Ferrer, A., Mazzi, D., Dorn, S., 2014. Stay cool, travel far: cold-acclimated oriental fruit moth females have enhanced flight performance but lay fewer eggs. Entomologia Experimentalis et Applicata, Vol. 151, n°1, 11–18.
- Wezel, A., Casagrande, M., Celette, F., Vian, J-F., Ferrer, A., Peigné, J., 2014. Agroecological practices for sustainable agriculture. A review. Agronomy for Sustainable Development, Vol. 34, n°1, 1–20.
- Wezel, A., David, C., Ferrer, A., Letort, A., Féret, S., Peigné, J., Vian, J.-F., Celette, F. 2014. Agroecological practices supporting the provision of goods and services in agriculture: Examples from France et Europe. ISARA-Lyon. France. 68 p
- Ferrer, A.; Dorn, S. and Mazzi, D. (2013) Cross-generational effects of temperature on flight performance, and associated life-history traits in an insect. Journal of Evolutionary Biology, 26, 2321–2330 (DOI: 10.1111/jeb.12218)
- Ferrer, A.; Gibernau, M.; Dixon, A.F.G.; Hemptinne, J-L. (2010) Ovarian dynamics and specialisation in Ladybirds. Ecological Entomology, 35, 100-103.
- Ferrer, A.; Dixon, A.F.G., Hemptinne, J.L. (2008) Prey preference of ladybird larvae and its impact on larval mortality, some life-history traits of adults and females. Bulletin of Insectology, 61, 5-10.