Immigration and insurance formalities

Higher Education Institution Agronomy, food, environment


I loved the education I got at ISARA and the experiences I had exploring Lyon.


Schuyler American Exchange student

Immigration and insurance formalities

Find here all information on the administrative formalities to do before leaving your home country.

Immigration formalities for non-EU students :

If you are planning to pursue an academic project at ISARA-Lyon for a period longer than 3 months, you MUST apply for a student visa. The student visa is MANDATORY for non-European students who come to study in France.

You WILL NOT be able to ask for your visa once in France.


     /!\ Depending on the country you live in, you may need to complete the Campus France online application process BEFORE you start your visa application. For more information on the relevant countries, please check with your home university.


  • You must schedule an in-person appointment at the closest French consulate via its official website. We encourage you to book your appointment at least 6 to 8 weeks prior departure. Your visa appointment at a French consulate must take place no more than 90 days before, and at least 2 weeks prior, your departure to France.

         /!\ Please note that sometimes it may be up to four weeks until the next appointment is available, especially in summer.

  • Go to the consulate for a visa interview. It is required to appear in person. The main documents to supply are:
    • Your passport (the validity of the passport must correspond to the duration of the visa requested). 
    • ISARA attestation of enrolment.
    • Proof of income.

        Depending on the country, other documents can be required.

  • Once you’re in France, if relevant, you must register with the local immigration office (Office Français de l’Immigration et de l’Intégration). Please check your local consulate’s website to see if you must do so. If so, make sure you validate your student visa at the local immigration office within a few weeks after you arrival.


You can find more information on the following websites :


Medical insurance formalities :

If you are a citizen of the European Union (EU) or the European Economic Area (EEA), ask for your European Health Insurance Card in your home country. Please check the expiry date. With this Card, you will be exempted from the mandatory subscription to the French Health Insurance System.
If you are NOT citizen of the European Union (EU) or the European Economic Area (EEA) and if you stay in France for more than 3 months, you must subscribe to the French Students’ Health Insurance Scheme. This subscription will be made upon arrival at ISARA-Lyon.

Students over 28 years old are not eligible for the students’ health insurance scheme. They must subscribe to a private insurance.

All students : If you have bought a private insurance in your country, please check if the repatriation insurance is included.
In all cases, you are strongly recommended to buy a complementary insurance to reimburse your expenses not reimbursed by the basic Health Insurance Scheme.

More information :


Emilien PAX

International Relations Department

+33 - (0)4 27 85 85 89